Joining a church is not something that is done thoughtlessly or carelessly; our own spiritual growth and the spiritual growth of our families is an important matter. We certainly should ask what is involved in church membership! From a Biblical standpoint, anyone who believes and confesses what we believe and confess and desires to take part in both the privileges and the responsibilities of church membership is welcome as a member of this congregation.
Scripture does not actually define a specific process by which someone is put on a membership list. Instead God lays out some principles by which he cares for us spiritually through pastors and through other Christians. The process is just a way we recognize what God is accomplishing through His church.
- God wants all people to come to faith in Jesus Christ
- God wants us to grow in our knowledge of His Word
- God wants pastors to accept spiritual responsibility for us, and for us to recognize it.
- It is God's will that we join with other Christians who uphold God's Word in every part.
- It is God's will that we are properly instructed and informed before we take part in Communion.